Tuesday 29 April 2014

Waffle Design: Assignment 3



My process.
1) Firstly I started with my parameters. 



2) Next step was to construct my shape keeping in mind and making reference too these parameters as a key. 



3) I created my overall shape using a polygon series that rotated as it changed the incrementation of the shape continued along the series. 



4) I then created an identical tower, however offsetting and some of the parameters so that the tower passed straight throught the original object in the z direct but left space from the original bounding edge of the original object. 


5) I then solid differences the two shapes which resulted with the above left image. This became the foundation for my waffling script. 




6) To create the the sections, I constructed a series of boxes that intersected my objects at the desired angles. These thickness of these boxes would represent the thickness of my material that i would use for printing.



Creating Slots for material connectioning

7) Result in z direction after the two x and y direction sectioning had been solid differences from one another interchangeably. 




8) For the tagging I thought about using a single lined font plugin 
download from the grasshopper forum called 'Bowerbird' to save time printing and also lessen the aesthetic effects of the tag on the printed object. This prooved very useful 


Resulting printable layouts. 


Old Original Design - now obsolescent 

Originally I used Rhino to create this form. 
This was out of response to the following issues. 

Explanation: 
I encountered a number of difficulties with this design to which I worked out in the above process. These include:
1) sectioing in rhino

Reasoning: Section in rhino may be a quicker alternative to working with grasshopper, however, the adjustability of the parameters et( for example the thickness of materials) makes it hard to change in permanent softwares like rhino. 

2) creating a form

Reasoning: I found it initially to create a form of interest using rhino and chnaging the parameters or the design would be quite difficult. 

Old design are as follows: 


 
My Waffle Design mainly comprises of a series




I did however create the initial curve within grasshopper and the script below comprises of a series of points which would then were interpolated into a curved line. A series of these curves were constructed in thsi way which in turn, where lofted to create my curve. this curve was extruded into a solid object.








Whilst printing my waffle design, I realized I had set the wrong thickness for my contours and so the section cuts between each piece was too small to fit together. I will have to remodel my design and repeat this process.


Experimentation with laser cutting methodology.




A Copy Of my grasshopper and Rhino script for this assignment is in the link provided below.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/03m8lov9itbx2k0/fquegmsrxX 



No comments:

Post a Comment