Tuesday 20 May 2014

Assignment 4: The Joint


To first create a joint I needed to create a panelling system that was the exact parameters for the assignment criteria and could be solid differences with he joint to create a unique and suitable joint for that particular panel intersect.


The panelling was easily, I simply offset the rectangular parameters of a curve that bounded that parameter and found the highest point, added a lunch box node (triangular braced grid system) which gave me this interesting patter which i could later use in my laser cutting. This gave precedence for the rest of my joint design. this panelling system was constructed solely for the exhibition requirements, however below shows a more useful panelling system canopy. 

The Joint

The process. 

1) I needed to create a joint that connected the different Fasard elements in a seamless and supportive way that was appropriate for the different angels in which the panels entered the conjunction within. I also needed to make these joins parameter so that they would be easily adjusted by the user. (example panelling system). 






 These joints resolved this problem. I started by creating my voids for the curved intersection in which my joint would then fit within. The joints are triangles and are oriented n such a way as to create voids within the curve which act like teeth to grip the panels in a secure and supportive way.


I then needed to orientate the different voids onto their consecutive intersections. The height of the voids are also large to a make it easier for the user to intersect object through the panels curve. This can also be adjusted. 


The same inputs that were fed from the voids are now conversed to the joint and now become a unique joint for every intersection. 


These inputs are shared with the original voids and so parameters are adjusted accordingly and interdependent. 


No comments:

Post a Comment